Our School and Nursery
All of us at The William Amory Nursery and School strive to continue our tradition of being an exceptionally welcoming place with a real family feel and strong values. A place that children and parents feel part of the family and where, together, our children can learn and explore the world around them in and caring, engaging and exciting way.
The staff and parents at our setting share a goal. Together we aim to continue the drive towards ensuring that every child in our care can reach their full potential. Towards giving the children the courage to challenge themselves and be confident in who they are. Towards excellence – whether that be in the classroom, on the stage, the sports field or all three.
Working together we are creating a nursery and school where the children, parents, governors and staff are proud to be part of and where children can thrive. A place where children develop a love of learning as they travel through.
A wide variety of experiences and opportunities including courses at residential outdoor activity centres are offered. The school provides a wide range of extra-curricular activities which are considered to play an important part in the life of the school including: cooking, art, netball, football, athletics, cricket, badminton, rounders, table-tennis and multi-skills. After-school clubs are held regularly throughout the year and are available to all pupils. The school is affiliated to the Cheadle and District (CADSSA) and Blythe Bridge (BBSSA) Primary School Sports Associations and take part in numerous inter-school activities and tournaments throughout the year.The ethos of The William Amory Primary School is based upon the home/school partnership where as well as a thriving Parent, Teachers and Friends Association, (PTFA), parents are actively encouraged to become involved within the school to work with staff and pupils, strengthening the team spirit and the home/school relationship.
We take children from age 4 to 11 in our school and from age 2 in our nursery.
William Amory, of Stonehouse, in his will dated; August 26th 1728 left to his wife, 7 acres, 2 roods and 10 perches of land, known as Pool-Street Meadows in the Parish of Dilhorne. He directed that after his wife’s death, trustees be appointed to the building of a schoolhouse.
The school was to be built in the Blythe Marsh and the master to teach freely the children of the poor in the immediate locality. His directions were, in due course carried out. However, in 1809 new trustees were appointed to administer all that William Amory had bequeathed. The schoolhouse had, by this time, fallen into decay and classes had been suspended. It was two or three years before renovation and subsequent re-opening of the school was possible.
About the early 1850’s the number of pupils was 125, all learning the 3 R’s. John Spilsbury was the school master and Assistant Overseer. By 1876 the schoolhouse was no longer used and a new school for boys was built in 1878 with funds from the charity.
The name Amory appears quite frequently in documents of Forsbrook’s past. So it was in 1728 when William Amory, who must have had a social conscience, founded a free school in Blythe Bridge. The school was built on the site now occupied by the library and police station.
In the early 1850’s it seems that the Grammar school, founded by Mr. Amory was closed and another school was built. The need for more school places was another effect of the increase in population, so with funds from Mr. Amory’s foundation, The Marsh School was built in 1878, next to the chapel in Uttoxeter Road.
In 1971 the Marsh Primary added its own Junior School in Stallington Lane.
The William Amory Primary School is an amalgamation of The Marsh Primary School and Draycott Manor Primary School and opened as such in September 2006. The school was officially opened by Cllr Robert Simpson, Councillor Elect for Children and Lifelong Learning, on Wednesday 28th March 2007.
The William Amory Nursery was formed on the 1st August 2017.